Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How do you do endnotes or footnotes properly?

I am doing a research paper on Child Labor, so I have lots of facts and sources I have to list. Here are my questions-





1.What do I do when I state another fact from a source already listed?(i know about ibid, but do i just write ibid instead of another number? or do i have to list something to go along with ibid at the bottom where the sources are listed?)





2.If I use ibid for multiple sources, do I specify which of the repeated sources the fact is from? (example: I have a lot of facts from UNICEF, and a lot of facts from HRW; when I am using ibid for a UNICEF fact, do I write something extra to show that that's not a HRW fact?)How do you do endnotes or footnotes properly?
1. ';Ibid.'; is like ';ditto.'; You use it as shorthand for what you have previously cited. If your new facts come from new pages in that same source, you have to list the new pages after the ibid. If you don't, you are saying that your new facts come from the same pages as before. ';Ibid.'; stands alone only if you don't have anything different in your reference.





2 With multiple sources, as with single sources, the ibid only reflects what immediately came before it. If you change sources, you have to list the earlier one again before you can ibid it. If you go from UNICEF to HRW, and you have cited HRW before, you still have to list the HRW source all over again before you can ibid it again.





Edit:





You do need to number all footnotes. For example:





1. Book A, p. 41.


2. ibid., p. 72.


3. Book B, pp. 394-5


4. Book A, p. 111


5. ibid.





That last ibid refers to both book A *and* page 111.
  • skin conditions
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment