Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Should I place a comma before adding footnoted info or should I just put the footnote mark and continue?

Not sure whether to start the sentence and insert a comma before placing the footnotes number and continuing the sentence.


i.e. according to Mark, (footnote1) it couldnot be done.


or


according to Mark (footnote1) it couldnot be done.





Also do u put the end of sentence punctuation inside of the quotation or outside? Need help quick!!,Should I place a comma before adding footnoted info or should I just put the footnote mark and continue?
According to Mark, it ';could not be done.';1





(1 being the footnote, in superscript)





The footnote goes at the end of the sentence, after all punctuation, at least in American English usage according to all styles I know. On rare occasions, you can put it mid-sentence after a comma, but it's almost always better to put it at the end. Final punctuation goes inside the quotation marks.Should I place a comma before adding footnoted info or should I just put the footnote mark and continue?
According to Mark, it could not be done (footnote).





to quote Mark, ';blahblahblah (add punctuation)';





to be more specific:


';The world is better off without me!';





Punctuation always goes inside the quotation marks.
If the whole sentence is in quotes, then you put the period, question mark, or exclamation point inside the quotes, otherwise outside.
  • skin conditions
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment