Saturday, December 26, 2009

What do you footnote and don't footnote?

I am confused because everything on my research paper seems like it is supposed to be footnoted. which doesn't seem right.What do you footnote and don't footnote?
Make footnotes for quotes, statistics, and facts that most people don't know (e.g. they sounds like they might be debatable)What do you footnote and don't footnote?
I agree!!!!! I argued (and dropped) a senior history class because the ancient relic that was paid to teach the course was too fossilized to 1) accept word processing because the dot-matrix hurt his eyes (more likely his brown-nosing little student helpers eyes), and 2) would not accept the MLE style of writing a research paper and required footnotes.





So, I typed the paper on a selectric, wrote it in the MLE style, and added footnotes at the bottom that basically was another philosophy paper on ';how footnotes are useless because whatever information offered was better suited in the text, else, it wasn't worth reading in the first place'; and ';how placing footnotes interrupts the flow, concentration and importance of what I, as the author, was attempting to make easy enough to understand without reading two books in one.





I was also watching ';Monty Python's The Holy Grail'; at the time, and put a few Llama quotes from the opening credits in the footnotes (I, of course, included the copywrite in the sources)





He called me to the front of the class and attempted to humiliate me. I dished out as much as I got. (Chef Ramsey and I wouldn't have gotten along either).


I am all for respecting authority, but often there are those who forget to earn it.





So, I really do not respect footnotes...if it is important enough to be in a research paper...it is good enough to be in the body.





I am as lost as you!!!!!
Any time you use someone else's information or specific idea.
  • skin conditions
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment