Wednesday, December 30, 2009

When writing a research paper and taking info from websites how would you cite a bullet? Are footnotes ok?

I am writing a paper and using many different outside sources a friend suggested adding footnotes instead of putting the actual citations and then at the end of the paper writing up the bibliography as usual with the footnote numbers next to it. Would that be an acceptable way to write up my paper? Or should I just stick in the citations everywhere they go?


My biggest thing is that I am using bullets from a website and I am not sure how to cite those at all. Can someone please help me?When writing a research paper and taking info from websites how would you cite a bullet? Are footnotes ok?
Footnotes are an excellent idea but you may want to check with your instructor on what the proper form is. I've written plenty of research papers with footnotes. Some instructors want the footnotes at the bottom of the typed written page that it was on and these footnotes are always numbered--don't use bullets. List your footnotes in numerical order and remember after the sentence that you've footnoted, you must put the proper number so it can be located in your footnote section.


Another form of footnoting is to have a separate page at the end of your paper right before your bibliography or reference sheet. In other words, it can be a seperate sheet by itself.





Footnotes are an excellent idea and the papers that usually get the best grades are the ones with excellent footnotes. Remember, the main reason you footnote something is because it's a direct quote of a sentence or sentences from something you used as a reference to write your paper. This makes sure that you're not copying anyone's work and footnotes also help you make your point when writing your paper.When writing a research paper and taking info from websites how would you cite a bullet? Are footnotes ok?
If your citations are long they should go at the end. This also depends on which format you use.





I'm an Art major so I use the Chicago style. My preference is to use footnotes, although I sometimes use the (name, page number) method along with the Bibliography.





Look up the method you're using online.

No comments:

Post a Comment