Thursday, December 17, 2009

Do I reuse the same footnote number if I cite the same source multiple times once one page?

I have referenced (w/footnotes) a few different sources on the same page. One of the sources was cited a few times, with other sources in between. It seems odd to write 1. (Source A.)


2. (Source B) 3.(Source A). Should I do this or should I just write the same footnote number twice on the same page and not retype it on the bottom. Also, if I am citing the same source on different pages, should I rewrite the citation (in shortened form) or should I again just write the same footnote number found on the page the source was first noted? Thanks.Do I reuse the same footnote number if I cite the same source multiple times once one page?
How you cite sources varies, depending on what citation style you're using. Generally, for footnotes, you should list the entire source the first time you cite it in the entire paper.





Example page 1 footnotes:


Smith, Bob. How to Eat Pies. 3rd ed. Bantam: New York. 1999.


Roberts, Sue. Pies and You. 2rd ed. Bantam: New York. 1973.





Now, what happens in the rest of the paper depends on whether or not you are citing specific pages. For example:





Page 2 text with pages:


Pies are delicious[1]. Pies taste great[2]. People eat pies[3].





Page 2 footnotes with pages:


[1] Smith, p. 57.


[2] Roberts, p. 3.


[3] Smith, p. 348.





Page 2 text without pages:


Pies are delicious[1]. Pies taste great[2]. People eat pies[1].





Page 2 footnotes with pages:


[1] Smith.


[2] Roberts.








This is a reasonable possibility. I would, however, check with your teacher. If the teacher refers you to a particular manual of style, you should check that manual. See:


http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resour鈥?/a>


http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resour鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment