Monday, December 21, 2009

Does anyone know if its wrong if I use a footnote and a works cited page in my essay.?

In other words can I use both a works cited and a foot note. For example I only have one footnote in my essay and plan on using a wroks cited for the rest of my quatations.Does anyone know if its wrong if I use a footnote and a works cited page in my essay.?
If you are using MLA style, which you use for most papers in your classes, you can use footnotes and a works cited page in your paper. You are required to use a works cited page if using MLA style, but footnotes are optional.Does anyone know if its wrong if I use a footnote and a works cited page in my essay.?
You can use anything in your essay providing you give proper citations to where you got it. Do not take anything without saying who you got it from.
Footnotes for direct quotes and 'works cited' for bibliography is pretty standard stuff for legal briefs.
There are several different systems or sets of rules for deciding how to do this. One is called the MLA system (Modern Language Association); andother is the APA system (American Psychological Assoc) and another is the Chicago or Turabian system.





So, there is no one answer to how to do it.





But, the most widely used system is the MLA.





In the MLA system you do not use footnotes. Instead, you put a citation in parenthesis right after the quote or information, then in the back of the paper you have a Works Cited page which lists all the sources alphabetically,





THere are lots of websites that explain how to do this, so google around a little and see if you can find some detailed explanations.

No comments:

Post a Comment