Tuesday, December 15, 2009

How do you footnote a footnote from someone else's article?

Ok, so basically I am using an article which uses direct quotes from other people and then footnotes them. I have decided to use some of these quotes myself, but do I just footnote the original source like the writer of the article has or additionally say for each one that I found the quote in the article? If I ave to do the latter could someone tell me how I do this because I have absolutely no idea! Thank you.How do you footnote a footnote from someone else's article?
The way it goes:


You use the article which has the quotes, as a reference. (Both in the text and in the bibliography) I give an example:





Kimberly Young researched internet addiction, and found that it resembles gambling and nicotine-addiction (Young, in. Fabian 2002).





So I have Fabian's article, who quotes Young. I quote Young too, but mention that I found it in Fabian's article.


If you quote an exact sentence, you need the number of the page too. Ex:





Kimberly Young researched internet addiction. She said ';it is important to recognize the symptoms as early as possible'; (Young, in Fabian 2002 pp.354).

No comments:

Post a Comment